Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Promoting Engineering Fair

Last night I had the opportunity to again talk to the audience before and during intermission at the Riverton Arts Council's production, Into the Woods.


I spoke to elementary aged girls as well as girls who are going into middle school and high school about participating in Engineering Fair as well as applying for the Engineering Fair mini-grants.

Engineering Fair is similar to science fair, except you create a new innovation and establish a design criteria.  The design criteria might include: innovation operates safely, requires minimal maintenance, works with high efficiency, etc.

I encourage all students in fifth through twelfth grade to participate in their school's science fair by submitting an Engineering Fair project, my curriculum can be found at engineeringfaircurriculum.blogspot.com.

For student in the Jordan School District, Engineering Fair mini-grants (up to $60 per project) are available to offset the costs of prototyping.  The application as well as the Engineering Fair Curriculum are found at http://www.jordanstem.org/engineering-fair-mini-grants/.
The application is accepted on a rolling basis until December 17, 2014.

I originally compiled this Engineering Fair Curriculum and applied for the 2013 Zions Smart Women Smart Money grant (to provide the Engineering Fair mini-grants to students in the Jordan School District) because of my experience with Engineering Fair.

In 2011, I prototyped nine different light fixtures to prevent light pollution; I placed First at the Central Utah Science and Engineering Fair (CUSEF) and was invited to compete at the International Sustainable World (Energy, Engineering, Environment) Project Olympiad (I-SWEEEP).


I placed Third Internationally in Engineering at I-SWEEEP and compiled the Engineering Fair Curriculum to provide other students with the opportunity to utilize their creativity to innovate solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment