Monday, January 5, 2015

Girl Scouts of the USA's 2014 National Convention


 As a special guest of the Alcoa Foundation, I was invited to attend Girl Scouts of the USA's 2014 National Convention in Salt Lake City in October 2014.  I was invited as a special guest of the Alcoa Foundation for winning the Alcoa Chuck McLane Scholarship.  The scholarship is awarded to two graduating Girl Scouts who completed a Gold Award involving STEM; not only will we receive financial support, but we also are also mentored by an Alcoa employee during our freshman year of college.

While I was attending the National Convention, I spoke at the VIP Reception about how being involved with Girl Scouts has shaped who I am today.  It was a wonderful opportunity to not only promote my Engineering Fair Curriculum, but to also share how Girl Scouts of the USA's STEM initiative shaped who I am today.

I also spoke at the theme dinner: "Imagine Your STEM Future!"  I explained my Gold Award, authoring the Engineering Fair Curriculum, distributing the Curriculum nationwide, and described current student engineering projects.  After the dinner, I was approached by community members and Girl Scout leadership from across the United States who wanted to utilize my Curriculum in their programming!  

I would like to thank the Alcoa Foundation and Girl Scouts of the USA for the opportunity to attend and speak at the 2014 National Convention.



No comments:

Post a Comment